Agreement of Wanfried 1945
HEADQUARTERS THIRD DIVISION U S ARMY
17 September 1945
Brigadier General Sexton, representative of the American High Command, Commanding General of the Third Infantry Division and the representative of the Soviet High Command, Major General Askalepov, Commanding General of the 77th Guard Infantry Division are authorized by their respective governments to alter the existing line of demarcation between the kreises of WITSENHAUSEN, HEILIGENSHTADT, and having met in the town of Wanfried, Saxony, Germany on September 17, 1945 have signed the following agreement:
1. It is mutually agreed and stipulated between the undersigned, authorized representatives of their respective governments that effective 17 September 1945 the boundary between the United States Occupational Zone in Germany be changed as indicated on the attached map (Annex No 1) - Germany: 1:25000, Sheets 4625, 4626.
2. The withdrawal of troops to the newly established line of demarcation will be completed by 19 September 1945 1800 hours American time.
3. That the people residing in the areas indicated will remain in place with their property.
S I G N E D :
1. COMMANDING GENERAL THIRD INFANTRY DIVISION
BRIGADIER GENERAL W.T.SEXTON
2. COMMANDING GENERAL 77th GUARD INFANTRY DIVISION
HERO OF THE SOVIET UNION GUARD GENERAL V.S.ASKALEPOV
W I T N E S S E S :
1. Charles E. Johnson, Col. GSC
2. Lloyd b. Ramsey, Lt. Col. GSC
1. guard colonel tarasov
2. guard Lt. Col. Paschenko
The English and the Russian copies are identical.
|Villages in Hessen||Inhabitants||Area|
|ha=hectare = 11.959 square yards||
changed from district Witzenhausen (American occupational zone) to district Heiligenstadt (Russian occupational zone).
|Villages in Thüringen||Inhabitants||Area|
changed from district Heiligenstadt (Russian occupational zone) to district Witzenhausen (American occupational zone).